A flavorful tomato based soup with tortilla strips and shredded chicken.
Original recipe serves 4
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry tortilla strips until crispy. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the cayenne pepper flakes, chili powder, oregano, onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic and onion are softened.
- Add lime juice, salt and water. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Add whole chicken breasts and cook for an additional 12 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the chicken, place on a cutting board, and let cool slightly.
- Remove onion mixture from heat, and puree in a blender (carefully.. it's hot!) until smooth. Return the pureed mixture to the pot.
- Add tomato sauce, cooking for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, slice chicken into thin, bite sized pieces.
- Add chicken back to pot. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until completely heated and chicken is cooked through.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls, and top with tortilla strips and cheese.