The crushed pineapple and brown sugar gives this Hawaiian BBQ chicken an amazing flavor and texture.
Ingredients (serves 24)
- Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, pineapple, worcestershire sauce in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and put 1 1/2 cups of the sauce to a sealed container and refrigerate.
- Put the chicken pieces in a large bowl and cover with the remaining sauce, turning to coat. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Preheat a grill for medium-high heat and oil the grill grate.
- Place the marinated chicken on the grill, and discard the used marinade.
- Grill for about 5 minutes per side, until the outside is caramelized.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for an additional 10-15 minutes, turning frequently and basting with reserved pineapple sauce, until juices run clear and a thermometer inserted near the bone reads 165F (74C).