A cake with lots of spices. Augusta was the mother of American artist Charles Demuth.
Ingredients (serves 9)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans or one jelly roll panb and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cinnamon, flour, cloves, nutmeg and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternatively, mixing well between each addition. Pour the batter unto the prepared pans and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 35-50 miuntes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cakes in the pans on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert and cool completely.
- Make icing by whisking together confectioner's sugar and milk until fluffy. When cake is cool, glaze each cake with the icing. Layer on a serving plate.