Makes a good gift. Tasty also!
Ingredients (serves 16)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Lightly grease the insides of 8 straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream together sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add eggs and beat in well.Add flour alternately with water and mix until smooth. Fold in apples, raisins and nuts.
- Fill jars 1/2 full of batter, being careful to keep the rims clean. Wipe off any batter that gets on the rims. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool.
- Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed. Jars can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week.