Grilled chicken pizza with a thin, crispy crust from scratch. This works best with a gas grill that allows you to control the temperature.
Ingredients (serves 2)
You will also need: grill
- Prepare the dough by combining the flours, salt, Italian seasoning, olive oil and milk into a large mixing bowl. Mix and knead until a dough forms. Add more flour or milk as necessary to get the required stickiness.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead until it holds together and is stretchy, about 10 minutes.
- Cut dough in half and form into two balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball of dough into a pizza crust, about 1/8 inch thick, about 12-14 inches in diameter.
- Place crusts on a lightly oiled baking pan. Set aside.
- Preheat a gas grill to 500F (260C).
- Lightly brush each side of chicken with olive oil, and sprinke with Italian seasoning.
- Spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Place foil on preheated grill, and place bell pepper pieces on the foil.
- Reduce to medium heat, about 350F.
- Place the chicken on the other side of the grill, if you have room.
- Grill the chicken and peppers for about 9 minutes, covered, turning the chicken and peppers halfway through grilling. Grill time may vary depending on your grill, so check chicken to ensure it is cooked through and juices run clear before removing from heat.
- When done grilling, cut up chicken into small pieces and add to a bowl along with the grilled peppers. Discard foil. Scrape grill with a wire brush to remove any residue left from the previous steps.
- Preheat again to 500F to burn off any additional residue. This will keep the crusts from sticking to the grill in the next steps.
- Reduce heat to 375F and place crusts on grill. Cover, and grill for 5 to 10 minutes or until bottom looks nearly done and crusts are firm enough to flip. If any bubbles begin to form, poke small holes in them with a fork and flatten with a spatula. Turn off heat to avoid burning the crusts while adding toppings.
- Flip crusts over and yop each crust with sauce, chicken, peppers, and cheese. Adjust amounts of sauce and cheese to taste. Sprinkle with oregano.
- Turn on heat again to 375 and grill, covered, for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This may take some practice to get right for your grill. Grill time and temperatures in this recipe are approximate.
Original recipe makes 2 personal-sized pizzas.